By Lori Zaslow and Jenn Zucher for Project Soulmate
February is right around the corner, and we all know what that means: Yes, Valentine’s Day is almost here, the one day of year when couples get to celebrate their love and singles get to eat Ben and Jerry’s guilt-free. This day is really magical. It’s when romance can finally express itself, and those in a relationship can really show their gratitude for one another.
However, the day doesn’t get cut much slack, mostly because a lot of people don’t know what to do to celebrate. That’s where expert matchmakers Lori Zaslow and Jennifer Zucher can help! They are at the helm of the luxury matchmaking company Project Soulmate, and with their combined expertise, they know how to craft a date idea that’s fit for any type of relationship.
This year, with their expert relationship advice, we have crafted 10 date ideas inspired by celebrity couples. These duos all have one thing in common: their strong bond with their soulmate. By taking inspiration from their love lives, we hope you can find a date that will bring you and your partner even closer together.
Related Link: New Year, New You! Expert Relationship Advice to Revamp Your Love Life
Look to Your Favorite Celebrity Couples for Valentine’s Day Inspiration
1. Beyoncé and Jay-Z: This Valentine’s Day, we want you and your partner to spend it Crazy in Love. We want you to forget all of your 99 Problems and put your Love on Top. Yes, those puns mean what you think they do: a Valentine’s date idea inspired by the iconic duo Beyoncé and Jay-Z. This celebrity couple has been together for over 15 years. They’ve written dozens of songs together and now have three beautiful children — who wouldn’t want to spend a day emulating them?
Why not go to a concert for Valentine’s Day? It doesn’t have to be a big one; it could be a small band that you and your loved one both enjoy. Singing and listening to music with your partner on such a romantic day is sure to hit some right notes. Or, if you want something more low-key, a karaoke bar could be great. Enjoying music together is perfect for couples who already have a passion for the industry –and obviously, a shared musical interest has served Beyoncé and Jay-Z well.
2. Victoria and David Beckham: When you think of inspirational celebrity couples, who comes to mind? If it’s not Victoria and David Beckham, then you’ve had a lapse in memory because no couple is more #goals than them! These two are the textbook definition of class, and we heard that, if you look up “posh” in the dictionary, you’ll find a picture of the two of them surrounded by their four children. We’re joking, of course, but this celebrity couple is the inspiration for our next Valentine’s Day date idea: a swanky dinner.
Going to a posh, new restaurant with your significant other is a classic idea and a tried-and-true Valentine’s Day date. So throw in a David Beckham-twist, and head to a sports game or bar before the two of you dress up for your five-star meal. It may be a fun way to release some nerves before your dinner plans.
3. Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard: Two of the most underrated people in Hollywood also happen to be happily married and have a relationship that shows that shared humor is a blessing. Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard have proven that a love for comedy leads to the purest of partnerships and makes for some great laughs that help you and your loved one grow even closer. Taking inspiration from these two, go to a comedy club or an underground stand-up night. Take your partner to a place where you both can laugh and enjoy a fun time that’s bound to be memorable.
Related Link: Celebrity Couple News: Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Rent a Roller Skating Rink for Date Night
4. Rose Leslie and Kit Harington: You and your partner have a solid relationship, and you guys aren’t the going out type. The two of you have no plans for Valentine’s Day, except that Chinese takeout you want to order, and you’re not really sure what to watch. Take a cue from stars Rose Leslie and Kit Harrington, who fell in love while on set together for Game of Thrones. Find shows and films where the couples are married in real life, and watch their romance blossom on-screen, all the while knowing that they’re still in love off-camera. Start by rewatching (or watching for the first time!) those early episodes of GoT where Jon and Ygritte fall in love, and don’t miss the true magic that is being filmed between these two soulmates!
5. Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks: Another date night idea that doesn’t involve going out and dealing with the madness that is Valentine’s Day takes inspiration from power couple Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks. These two have been happily married for almost 30 years and have two sons together, but as a couple, they’re probably best-known for their ability to keep to themselves. They’ve managed to stay under the radar when in comes to paparazzi, and that’s because they’re both as down-to-earth as a celebrities can get. They prove that you don’t have to be glitz and glam to enjoy being with your loved one.
Take inspiration from them and stay home and make dinner together. Spend a low-key night bonding with each other and with your family rather than making a big scene. Their love has proven that it’s not about what you do; it’s about who you do it with.
6. Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick: Valentine’s Day doesn’t strictly mean that you and your partner have to spend time alone together. It’s a day about love, but it doesn’t have to be spent isolated from your closest friends. This Valentine’s Day, take inspiration from Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick and host a group dinner at home. This celebrity couple is known for their incredible group of friends; they know how to be loving with their spouse while also maintaining a healthy social life. So why not have a Valentine’s Day dinner party and avoid the hassle of making plans at a fully-booked restaurant? Afterwards, you all can play cute couple games and end the night on a fun note.
Related Link: Expert Relationship Advice: The Stages of Soulmates
7. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher: Mila Kunis shared that her first kiss ever was on the set of That 70’s Show with her future husband Ashton Kutcher. If that isn’t one of the cutest stories ever, we don’t know what is! The two of them have two children together and are always pictured smiling ear-to-ear at basketball and baseball games together.
That’s why our next date idea was easy: Take your loved one to a sporting event. Watching sports together makes for some great moments — from the pre-game tailgate to the first minutes after a big win, a game is bound to make the two of you feel closer. Plus, this celebrity couple seems to really enjoy watching the game together, so if it works for them, it can’t hurt to try it with your significant other.
8. Jada Pinkett-Smith and Will Smith: The next inspiration for a Valentine’s Day date idea comes from a famous couple that exemplifies trendy. Jada Pinkett-Smith and Will Smith have been together for nearly 21 years and have two children who have both thrived in the artsy-alternative community. This is a family of trendsetters and artists, so a date inspired by them needs to be on the same thread.
That’s why we suggest that you and your soulmate go to a modern art exhibit or a jazz club — something that stimulates your minds but is visually or musically pleasing too. Afterwards, go to a cute little place for dinner for a well-rounded date. You can talk about the art or performance during your meal, so you don’t have to worry about any awkward silences!
9. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.: From She’s All That to Cruel Intentions, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. ruled the silver screen of 90’s romances, and now, they have championed a new field: long-term celebrity relationships. They have been married for almost 16 years and have two children together, and there has never been a rumor of them getting a celebrity divorce or threatening to split.
A great date idea for the couple who loves a little bit of 90’s romance is a night out at a retro theatre watching old rom-coms. Snack on some buttery popcorn and soda for a throwback Valentine’s Day date night!
Related Link: Celebrity News: Find Out Details About Meghan Markle’s Upcoming Bachelorette Party
10. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry: We couldn’t end this list without including the celebrity couple whose engagement has dominated headlines for the past month or so. Yes, we’re talking about the much anticipated royal wedding of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. Taking inspiration from this couple, we decided that the best date idea would be to get fancy and take your loved one to high tea. Enjoy the cute little hors d’oeuvres and classy tea rituals before heading to a spa for some much-needed rest and relaxation. End the day with a bath bomb or a bubble bath from Lush’s collection of rose-scented goodies, and enjoy some romantic tub time as a couple.
For more expert relationship advice from Project Soulmate, check out their website.